| The finished product. |
I'm not an online shopper but Japanese fashion lacks true personality to me. I've noticed a lot of my friends have been shopping more often over the net rather than going to boutiques or stores nowadays. In Japan, people tend to dress up like they're in costume. Or to put it in SoCal terms, they're posers. A person could dress up like a punk rocker but be the sweetest person. Someone could dress up like Snoop Dogg but totally lack the swag or dress scandalous but is totally goodie-two-shoes. Say what?! Don't pose, just be. o_O
Also, I want to stand out from my co-workers. It's so boring to be dressed like everyone else. I think it's because I'm not one to wear beige or "old rose pink". Not sure if "old rose pink" is an actual color but the color just reminds me of a pink rose all dried up. I'm also tired of seeing stripes, polka dots, and flower print stuff. That's all I've seen sold the past few years and it's gotten to the point where people think I like stripes, dots, and pink. No, I don't like stripes, dots, and pink. I just buy the print because I'd rather wear that than dress in flower print upholstery. I don't mind if other people dress in it, I just refuse to wear it.
Well anyway, I started my Japanese class recently and our homework was to think of a superstition and I've been stumped thinking of one. All I could think of are urban legends.
Japanese class has been quite challenging, which I appreciate. But I realized that I need to purchase a grammar book to help me out in class. I've also been walking around with my study materials as well, forcing myself to study after work. I just need to make sure I don't overdo the studying like I did last year. Studying for three hours a day did not help me but at least I have some guidance now.
Thought for the day: Do you believe in superstitions?
-P.Bear
Oh, come on... Here are a few:
ReplyDelete1. breaking a mirror = 7 years bad luck
2. walking under a ladder = bad luck
3. a 4-leaf clover = good luck
4. a rabbit's foot = good luck (but not for the rabbit)
Yay for Masala Chai! :D
ReplyDeleteAs for superstitions, do u mean ones that we have in the states, or ones that you've noticed in Japan? If you're stumped for some in the states, mebbe some that'll help:
- opening an umbrella indoors
- walking under a ladder
- black cats
- fingers crossed (or holding your breath) when passing a grave
- knocking on wood
Thanks guys! I'm not the only American in the class so I also didn't want to have the same superstitions as everyone else.
ReplyDeleteI remember tossing salt over your shoulder if you spilled it while cooking. Not entirely sure as to why though. :/