If my English is off, this is probably because I have lived in Japan a while now. I left a message for a friend and she responded by saying that she didn't understand my English. My Japanese level has been increasing but my English level has been decreasing. I don't even want to know where my Filipino level of understanding is right now.
I'm not even sure as to how I could even balance the three without writing. But how embarrassing. I even stumble with words and freeze, trying to remember the word in English or Filipino. Or I'll remember the Filipino word to what I'm trying to say, but not the Japanese or English word. Now that's weird.
What I find entertaining though is when people feel they need to explain or translate things to me when I'm just deep in thought. Or when I'm totally saying something wrong on purpose with a straight face, repeating it over and over, people really believe that I'm serious. I guess I'm so good at acting that people don't realize I'm joking.
Humor is different in every country though. Some laugh at the obvious because they know the person is messing around, others laugh at pure wit. I could sit through the Dave Chappelle Show and not laugh at all but the Ricky Gervais Show cracks me up. Then again, people find it hard to make me laugh. I don't laugh out loud and I guess I air chuckle but when I do laugh, it's surprising.
Not sure how I started off from talking about my poor English skills to random humor but I guess you'll never know when you'll take a detour on the great highway called life. o_O"
Thought for the day: If you're multilingual, do you feel you get confused with words and word order?
~P. Bear
No comments:
Post a Comment